In early 1897, five young women attending San Jose High School formed the Greek Organization Alpha Chapter of Omega Nu. They spent a great deal of time hosting luncheons, dances and tea parties. Members of the Alpha Chapter aided in the establishment of chapters in Stockton, Santa Cruz, Oakland, San Francisco, Sacramento, Alameda, and as far north as Portland, Oregon and Seattle, Washington before laws outlawed secret sororities on high school campuses. Not to be deterred, the Alpha Chapter sought out young matrons as members and the society evolved from a strictly social group to a more charity minded organization.
At the Conclave in 1914, Grand President Georgy Landsborough from Sacramento called upon all chapters to “maintain a special aim for the sorority, namely charity…and that it is up to us to show our critical friends, through the excellent work that we can do along this line that we can be a blessing to the community in which we exist.”
Distance, war and anti-fraternity laws impacted several out-of-state chapters. Thus, since the early 1920’s, Northern California has been home to thirteen (now twelve) extremely active Omega Nu chapters; each distinct within their community but with charity remaining the first and foremost focus of the various chapters.